Friday, September 21, 2012

Ein Klein Oktoberfest

I freshened up at the hotel in Salzburg, a nice business-class hotel about 15 minutes from the old part of town, and also fairly convenient to the Hauptbahnhof.

I decided to walk up to the Aldstat - the old part of town - and maybe find some supper. I found much more than that. 

Apparently, for a few years now, Salzburg has held a St. Rupert's Fair, to coincidentally coincide with Munich's Oktoberfest. Salzburg's version is much smaller and more kid friendly, but there were dozens of small beer stands with tables, food vendors, artisans hocking their wares, amusement park rides, and people wearing lederhosen and dirndls.

There were various stages set up and lots of traditional music. 

I enjoyed a few Stiegl Pils biers - a crisp Austrian brew - and a hot dog with onions while I took in the festival. It was a nice way to see some local culture and unwind from a really long travel day. 

I returned to the hotel at about 11 PM and fell into bed. This morning (Friday) I woke up, had a nice full breakfast at the hotel, dutifully prepared this post for your pleasure, and now I'm off to take part in Fräulein  Maria's Bike Tour of Salzburg... Tune in later for more!

4 comments:

  1. Glad your trip is going well! Really enjoyed your account of your adventure in the NY airport! The kids and I listened to some Mozart in your honor on the way to school today. Andrew would like to know if you're going to see any castles.:-) Thanks! --April

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Tell Andrew that I'm going to see a Fortress tomorrow! First, though, you'll have to read about my bike trip!

      Delete
  2. First off, you used the word "vorpal" in your first blog. Fabulous! I have no idea what that means. Show off. Secondly, that orange jacket you wore, well that's the universal colored apparel meaning "special person." Yes, the un-pc version. Lol. Thirdly, I could pee you under the table. (Can you tell I miss the verbal spars?) Fourth, and most important, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! What an absolutely beautiful place to spend it in. Can't wait to hear about the bike tour. I hope you got to have plenty of stops for viewing. Request: at some point during these new travels have someone take your picture with a person in traditional costume. So glad you're meeting nice people so far. Do you find that tourists-sorry, globe trotters, are treated well overall? Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous

    The Austrians are a little reserved, though there is no shortage of native costumes, what with the St. Rupert's Fair. Maybe I'll trick one of them to pose with an American. We bombed Salzburg to rubble in WWII, and they make sure you know about it -they seem offended that they are considered a part of the WWII Axis when they really had no choice when Hitler "annexed" Austria. Thanks for following, and you'll love the bike tour post!

    ReplyDelete

Communicate with Ken now!

ShareThis