Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Greater Manchester - Stalybridge, Cheshire

We packed up our things in Llandudno and headed to the train station early this morning, Saturday 17th August.  Needed to get out of Dodge before the old-folks cornered us and made us play dominoes -- or shuffleboard....

We arrived at Manchester Piccadilly rail station after a 2-hour train ride, at just shy of Noon.  We located and collected our rental car -- a neat little Fiat 500 like the ones they're selling now in the States.  The car rental agent gave us a little bit of a hard time -- our reservation was for 11 AM but we didn't arrive at the counter until just after Noon -- the rental place was open until 1 PM.  We think the guy wanted to leave early, but we were the last to collect our car.

  Dad's turn to drive, and he did much better than his inaugural drive with a much larger car back in Inverness.  I only cringed twice.

We located our hotel on the outskirts of Manchester-proper, the Diamond Lodge, with little difficulty in only about a half-hour.  We were able to check in early and we got settled into our room.  We decided it was high-time to head out in search of a pineapple, or more properly THE Pineapple, my great-grandfather's pub and the place where my Dad lived until relocating permanently to the States when he was about 12 years old.  A half-hour drive from the hotel and we were in the small Cheshire town of Stalybridge.


We already knew that the pub was closed -- my Dad's pre-trip research had disclosed that the pub had been sold less than a year ago.  We found it nonetheless, just so he could physically touch the walls and see what the old neighborhood looked like.

The old neighborhood didn't really exist anymore.  When my Dad lived there, there were small row-houses to the left of the pub, arranged around a central courtyard where the outhouses were -- only the pub had indoor plumbing at that point in time (yes, my Dad is THAT old!)  The row-houses and courtyard don't exist anymore.  My Dad's room -- he thinks -- was the one shown in the first picture on the second floor at the right end of the building.  The entrance used to be on the right-hand corner, but had been relocated sometime after the pub left the family's hands.

Less than a quarter mile away, on a "main" street in "downtown" Stalybridge - Grosvenor Street, was the Grosvenor Hotel (just a pub - no rooms to rent), which my Grampy ran for a few years when my Dad was even younger, before the family moved back to the States for the first time (my Dad was born in the US, the family relocated to England for a few years when my Grampy ran the Grosvenor, returned to the States after a few years, and then came back to England shortly after my great-grandfather died to help my great-grandmother run the Pineapple.)  There is no Grosvenor Hotel anymore, and Dad wasn't even certain which building it had been.

Grosvenor Street itself is no longer a street, either -- it has been turned into a pedestrian zone with shops on either side.


We located a pub for a late lunch.  The first pub we tried, full of pre-gaming football hooligans (Manchester United was to play its season-opener later in the afternoon against Swansea), didn't actually serve food, so we found another one 100 yards away -- part of the JD Wetherspoon chain of pseudo-pubs with cheap but decent eats (we have eaten at one or two others during our trip).  This particular pub had the single best men's room either of us have ever had the pleasure to experience -- the decor, cleanliness, lighting and layout are sublime.  It's hard to explain, but you need to pee in the men's room of the JD Wetherspoon pub in Stalybridge if you ever have the chance.

After lunch we sought out Dad's old School -- West Hill Primary.  It still exists, but is now some sort of science-focused junior college and no longer what we would consider a grade school.  The gates to the grounds were locked, so we took the opportunity for a photo-op at the school's sign:


We returned to the hotel shortly thereafter, after walking through the extensive and beautiful park which abuts the West Hill School.  It started to rain pretty hard and continued to rain through the evening.  Dad and I braved the rain to walk around the neighborhood of the hotel, but there was nothing really to recommend the area -- and no pubs or food places to speak of.  Fortunately, our hotel has a full bar and a restaurant so we were able to relax, have dinner and a few drinks, watch some of the Manchester United game, and take it a little easy.  We both frankly needed a little down-time.

Tomorrow we visit the town of Poynton, where my great-great uncle and aunts (Billy, Ethel and Amy) lived, and where I stayed for two weeks in the summer of 1988 with my Nana and my cousin Jonathan, who celebrates his nuptials in California in just about a week!

Stay tuned!

Interesting VacaKen Sidebar, Entry Seven:

Lots of luggage looks alike.  That’s why lots of people try to personalize their luggage with “unique” marks, tags or dangles.  Unfortunately for lots of people, their “unique” embellishments are similar to those of many other people.  My Grandmother came up with a truly unique bag marker, which adorns my rolling bag:  You know the plastic mesh bags that onions come in from the supermarket?  Yup – I tie part of an onion bag to my luggage handle – NO ONE else uses that as a bag indentifier!!  Even rarer, mine is yellow rather than the more ordinary red!


9 comments:

  1. Dominoes can be insanely fun!
    So, why was the pub called The Pineapple? Anything to do with the welcoming symbolism of the fruit? It's a great name and so cool that it still has the name on the building.
    The throne room was sublime?! You can't say that and not have taken any pictures lol.
    The history of the school your dad went to intrigues me. I did a tiny bit of research on it and it's really too bad you both couldn't get in.
    Apparently it is currently an all boys school for ages 11 to 16. Their navy blue blazers with emblem are quite posh looking.
    What is really cool is that it was originally a home of a prominent cotton manufacturing family, the Harrison's. The original mansion (which is still there and renovated) was sold March 24, 1927 and called the West Hill Council school. How awesome to have gone to a place with a lot of history. Not showing off, but the sign was kind of misleading and made me want to learn about a science college offers sine science encompasses so much. Wonder why they call it that.
    Anyway, this would be a great topic for a research paper that your younger relatives may have to do this coming school year :)
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms., your scholarly endeavor startles me, impresses me and touches me. I'll make sure to alert my Dad to your research and I'll encourage him to further it!! My dad actually sent an email to the school in advance of the trip, but it wasn't answered. My dad also emailed the brewery which owned the Pineapple and received a very thoughtful reply with dates, facts and figures to fill in the gaps in my dad's memory.

      I don't know the origin of the Pineapple's name (I think it was already called that when my family ran it) but I suspect that you're right about the traditional welcoming meaning of a pineapple.

      I didn't have my camera with me in the loo of the pub -- and I'd be worried about someone walking in while I was taking pictures of the bathroom. Trust me though -- if you're ever in Stalybridge, put on a fake beard and check it out!!!!!

      Ken

      Delete
  2. This is for Darlene: i was in the equivalent of seventh grade when I attended West Hill Preparatory School for boys. Mr. Quentin MacKenzie--a very intimidating figure--was headmaster, and it was there I got my first and only taste of corporal punishment. I can't remember the crime, but Mr. Howell, my English teacher, administered one swipe with the detached sole of a sneaker. I liked West Hill a lot and was kind of sad I couldn't get through the gates and wander around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! A rebel after my own heart. My one and only "beating" lol, was administered on my first day of kindergarden at Fountain Gates School in Texas. I had the audacity to run in the hallway with my buddy (I started in the middle of session) and was soundly smacked on the bottom with a wooden paddle in the coatroom.
      I wish you could have gone in too. My favorite school I went to as a child was an elementary school in Newbury, Vermont. I've been back a few times and lucky for me and my memories nothing has changed. The General Store and Post Office beside the school, continue to be THE hubs of activity :)
      You should call ahead of time before you go traveling again to make an appointment for a tour.
      Darlene

      Delete
  3. Hello, Kenell. Let's see if you can figure out which friend is reading your blog. This friend has been to UK several times, stayed across the street from a castle in Lancaster, owns a video of you dressed in a spray painted suit of armor, has a rock she has kept for decades that you brought back for her from the Grand Canyon, and signed her homeownership papers with you when she was so sick you had to tell her when to pick up her head to sign. Got it yet? :-) Headed back to UK in a few weeks. Let her know if there's anything you want her to bring back for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Donna! It's been ages!! Great to hear from you! Rather than bring something back, maybe you could pack me into one of your bags?? Have a great trip and say Hi to T & G for me!

      Delete
  4. This West Hill school is a high school, not a Primary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ken
    Interesting blog. I called into The Pineapple about 20 years ago when passing through Stalybridge. I wanted to see what it was like after leaving about 20 years earlier. The biggest shock was the size, I always thought it was bigger inside, it must of been me that was smaller. My parents ran the pub in the late 60's early 70's and I have many fond memories. I remember the houses at the rear you mention and remember there used to be flats opposite the pub. My bedroom was the middle window and down the hallway at the far end was the bathroom. Opposite my room was a large room used for functions, but I only remember the pretty ballet dancers using it. I still remember the first song I ever selected on a juke box and it was in the bar of the Pineapple 'Sugar Sugar'
    I would peddle my dumper truck around the streets and subway getting shouted at by the grown ups :)
    Superb Ken, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughtful comment! I have forwarded your comment to my Dad, Jeff, whose parents (my grandparents) must have taken over the Pineapple from your family. I have encouraged him to reply to you!

      Delete

Communicate with Ken now!

ShareThis