Monday, March 12, 2012

What do Waffles, Chocolate and Beer Have in Common?

I came across an incredible opportunity this weekend to travel some more in the Low Countries of Europe.  I scored a last-minute ticket to Europe for $452.12 (originally $870.59 before I applied some rewards points on my credit card -- still a huge bargain).  Couldn't pass this up if I wanted to, and it was easy for me to make the decision.  I leave a week from today.

I've booked all of my hotels but one already, and I've spent about $550.00 for 6 nights.  I only need one more night, and I'm hoping for around $100.00.  I'll be staying in Amsterdam and Brussels three nights each, and in Liege for one night (that's the hotel I haven't booked yet.)

My plan this time is to take day-trips from each home base -- this allows me to leave my luggage behind and jump on short commuter trains from my centrally-chosen hub cities.  The longest one-way trip from a hub city to destination town is under two hours, a very doable thing especially without the checking-in and checking-out at hotels at each stop.  No rail pass this time; I compared the cost of a rail pass and the cost of point-to-point tickets and the rail pass is almost double the cost.

I plan to blog again (obviously) because I really enjoyed doing it last time, especially the interaction with you, my loyal followers, during the trip.  It was a link back to home and a virtual travel companion.

Further posts to follow ... and, Dad, can I have a ride to the airport next Monday night?

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! What a great plan, and so inexpensive, too! Andrew and I will look forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, April and Andrew! With gas prices on the rise, in addition to the airlines' concerted effort to increase fares, I wanted to grab the chance when it presented itself. A similar trip in the Fall is going for about $400 more.

    ReplyDelete

Communicate with Ken now!

ShareThis