Saturday, March 24, 2012

In Brussels

I left Brussels at a little after 9:00 AM on Sunday, 3/25, via InterCity train. Billet aller et retour (round trip ticket), €14.10. The weather was great again - I went jacketless to the train station and threw a sweater in my backpack just in case it got cold later. An hour gone by, I arrived in Bruges.

The weather went from sunny and warm to foggy and freezing during the course of the relatively short train ride. It was so cold on arrival in Bruges that you could see your breath - really - and I was still cold after donning my sweater - you know what I mean, the kind of briskness that makes your nose run.




This is the Minnewater. The fog eventually cleared, and I found myself taking the same pictures twice. Bruges had a haunted, gothicy-romantic feel in the foggy morning, evolving to the springtime warmth of youthful spirit by the afternoon.


The place is designed for walking and exploring. Centuries-old buildings and monuments everywhere - the city is its own open-air museum. There is a network of small museums in Bruges, but I left them largely untouched (I breezed through the archaeological museum but it was really a museum for kids, I found out quickly). Instead I wandered the main streets and back alleys and everywhere in between for more than 5 solid hours. This place deserves the special status it has been accorded as a world heritage city. I'm not sure what organization has the power to confer such a title, or what perks other than tourist bucks the town might receive as a result.

There is no way for me to really narrate the following photo tour, so I won't try. Enjoy:







Belgian Waffle in Bruges -- yummy!

My lunch was a Belgian waffle. When in Rome ....




















Tomorrow is Antwerp and my last full day in Belgium.

2 comments:

  1. Goody! A photo of a massacred bunny rabbit! Next, you'll be eating Bambi. Or was this Thumper?

    ReplyDelete

Communicate with Ken now!

ShareThis