Monday, March 19, 2012

Time Travel

I'm here at Logan Airport awaiting the boarding call at about 6:45 PM - it's about 6:10 PM on Monday evening as I start to write this.

We all set our clocks ahead an hour for U.S. daylight saving time last week. Right now, Europe is still on standard time. This means that there is only a five hour difference between Boston and Amsterdam. Europe goes to daylight time this coming weekend, after which there will be a 6 hour spread.

Put another way, I had to re-set my internal clock last week, I'll have to do it again thanks to jet lag, I'll have to do it once more this coming weekend, and one last time on my return. Who knows how confused I'll be, and for how long after the trip ends!!

On another time-related note: I am leaving exactly 6 months to the day from my last trip to Amsterdam and Germany. This also means that today is my half-birthday; tomorrow I will be closer to being "in my forties" than merely being forty.

Tonight's trip is nonstop and will take about seven hours and fifteen minutes - by far the shortest trip compared to my last two planes rides, and compared to my return trip, which will land at JFK with a connecting flight to Logan - total time for that trip, about 12 hours.

I'll blog again soon, maybe a quickie after I arrive in Amsterdam before I head out to Haarlem, and then a full report after my sojourn in that colorful suburb of Amsterdam.



Location:Massachusetts Turnpike,Boston,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment

Communicate with Ken now!

ShareThis