Tuesday, September 27, 2011

In Heidelberg, Part 2

The Altstadt is the really old part of town, chock full of cobblestones, churches, tourists like me, shops and cafes. I spent a good three hours here, and I even bought a zip up sweater jacket. It's definitely menswear, but it zips from the wrong side. There are a ton of shops throughout, and the old town spills into the city's main shopping area to boot.


A view of the Schloss from the Altstadt.


Approaching the big old church whose name I forget - too much bier.


The main Marktplatz.


A little side street.





Exploring each nook and cranny was half the fun. All of the little side streets intersected the Hauptstrasse (High Street), so I meandered back and forth to maximize my exploration.


I'm off to Munich tomorrow, which is properly called Munchen, at 06:57, arriving, after a train change in Stuttgart, at 10:14. I'm hoping to check into my hotel, upload the blog entries I know you're waiting for, and head to the Deutsches Museum, which is the number one museum I wanted to see in Germany. I should be able to walk there in five minutes from my hotel. I'm also going to try and check out the Marien-Platz, in the center of town, and enjoy dinner in the Viktualienmarkt (food market) which is packed with food stalls, cafes and restaurants.

Wednesday will be dedicated to Oktoberfest.

***UPDATE*** I saw no fewer than 50 herren und dammen wearing traditional Oktoberfest outfits between the Hbf and my hotel. I couldn't check in right away so I've left my roller bag and I'm heading for the Deutsches Museum after a quick mittengassen (lunch) at a cafe across the street from my hotel. Thus the lateness of this post. Sorry to have kept you waiting.

Location:Heidelberg,Germany

No comments:

Post a Comment

Communicate with Ken now!

ShareThis