Tuesday, September 20, 2011

En Route

Everyone has been anxious today, I'm sure, to see when Ken's first blog from the road will be posted. Wait no longer.

I'm sitting in the Samuel Adams Brew Club at Newark's Liberty airport as i write this, enjoying an Octoberfest while waiting out the hour remaining before I board the plane to Amsterdam.

I'm already disappointed in my roller bag. The slide-out handle has developed an issue - it is now almost impossible to telescope the handle out or in, making the wheels kind of useless. I fiddled with the darn thing for about 20 minutes and finally got it to work -- don't know if it will continue to function. It was working fine in Manchester this morning, but they made me check the bag at the gate because the tiny jet couldn't accommodate roller bags. I got the bag back in the jetway in Newark, but it hasn't worked right since.

I had a beautiful view of the NYC skyline as my plane approached Newark. Right out my window, in the same frame, I saw the Freedom Tower and the Statue of Liberty. Not far away (at least from my viewpoint at about 5,000 feet and descending) was the suspension bridge I think might be the George Washington? - someone correct me if I'm wrong, please!

One funny anecdote -- my phone rang mere minutes after the plane landed in Newark. Lieutenant Tripp of the Grafton PD called to wish me a happy birthday. Wow -- small town life .... Now where's Aunt Bea with that apple pie?

More to come from Amsterdam.





Location:Newark, NJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Communicate with Ken now!

ShareThis