Wednesday, June 3, 2015

WOW, I'm in Reykjavik, Iceland!

**NOTE: Can't make my blogging apps work. I just spent two hours uploading this.  Pictures are not formatted right. I will try to fix this in the future. Very frustrating, but enjoy the following entry!**

My Dad, now being retired, is a bargain hunter. So of course, when a newish airline, WOW Air, began service this year from Boston to Iceland and offered $99 fares each way, my Dad did some arm-twisting and convinced me to take a two-week Scandinavian sojourn with him. So here I am, at the 4th Floor Hotel in Reykjavik, updating my travel blog. 

How did the WOW Air experience go on the outbound flight? The bad: We endured a 3-hour delay because the plane had been delayed at an earlier destination. WOW only has a half-dozen planes, so each is used extensively to offer an ambitious schedule. The downside is that a single delay somewhere can cause a serious ripple for hours in WOW's system. The upside is that Dad and I checked in really early at the airport (no online checkin available) and the agent gave us upgraded emergency row seats for free - neither of us had a seat in front of us!!

Here are my stubby legs stretched to infinity in my spacious premium seat. To the right is a pic of Dad "riding out" the delay. 

The delay meant that we arrived in Iceland at 7:30 AM instead of 4:30. Much better, though most things still weren't open yet. 

Iceland looks like the Moon or Mars from above. Lots of little rocks, no trees to speak of. It looks that way on the ground, too. Below is a picture of the plane we flew in. Yup, you guessed it! We deplaned down a set of steps right onto the tarmac! Skies were full sunshine and the temperature is hovering around 50 degrees Farenheit by midday.

We had Flybus reservations to take us the 45 minutes from the airport in Keflavik to Reykjavik and our hotel. Along the way we saw construction underway for a permanent rainbow over Iceland.
I wonder how much gold it will take to anchor each end of the rainbow. And how many leprechauns to guard it. 
We arrived at our hotel, but our room wasn't ready yet. So, being hungry we did the sensible thing and walked the main boulevard (Laugavegur) looking for an ATM machine to change money, and then for food. 

I'll report back later on our first day activities! Let's just say lots of Viking statues, lots of walking, and lots of fun! We're at the hotel now to check in, for a short break and to shower, but we're going out again this afternoon. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to welcome back loyal readers of my blog, and to encourage new friends to follow the excitement! Check back soon for Day One in Reykjavik!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Communicate with Ken now!

ShareThis