Friday, October 5, 2012

En Route to Vienna

Miserably ill.  Thank the Powers-That-Be for Kleenex pocket packs - I brought three with me on the trip. I have on every trip (never know when you need emergency TP) but I've never used more than half a pack before. Used a whole pack just on the train.
Train Compartment on the Prague-to-Vienna train, September, 2012
My reserved seat on the train from Prague to Vienna was in an old-school compartment with six seats - like on Hogwart's Express. There was even an old lady pushing a trolley through the car, offering drinks and sweets - she said it in Czech, but I imagined she cried, "anything from the trolley?!"

Alas I wasn't sitting with Ron and Hermione. But I did spend the nearly five-hour train trip chatting amiably with a Brazilian from Sao Paulo, David, who, like me was traveling solo for a couple of weeks. David is a high-powered financial analyst who works for a major stock brokerage. Mucho dinero. We shared travel stories, beer, and a great apple torte he had bought to eat on the trip. Much of the conversation might seem boring to you, but we discussed in some detail the political, social and economic realities that David sees as conspiring to erect a glass ceiling on the ability of the Brazilian economic structure to fully modernize. 

The train trip was a bargain that I had scooped up in advance - 567 Crowns, or €22, or about $30.  By comparison, my trip from Munich to Prague, roughly the same distance, was €38, or about $50. 

I arrived in Vienna (the locals spell it "Wien") at about 1:30. Found my way to the hotel by about 2:30. The hotel - the Hotel Admiral - is located just off of a major shopping thoroughfare near to the Museum Quarter. 

This is a picture taken early the next morning of the shopping street (9/30) - normally this street is absolutely bustling with humanity. My hotel is located on the side street to the right. 

I checked into the hotel, unpacked, then went out and did my customary circuit of the immediate surroundings so that I would recognize landmarks, locate the metro station, and find food stores. After that, and early dinner (I wasn't very hungry but I forced myself to eat something, and drink lots of water) I went to bed. 

I hated to miss a half-day in Vienna, but I wanted to feel well enough for my remaining two days. 

Karl-Schweighofer-Gasse 7, Neubau, Wien. 


5 comments:

  1. Germs, they be powerful. By the sounds of it I cannot imagine 3 small, itty, bitty, pug nose sized packages of Kleenex were enough. My sympathies. At least you had a good seat companion and the seats themselves looked comfortable. Long train ride? I couldn't tell from the shopping picture but how did the trees look? I find they appear different everytime you go a good distance away from home, especially pine trees. You would have been more miserable if you pushed yourself. Will await your next blog all in good time. Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trees do look different. There are a lot of chestnut trees, and the chestnuts are falling. Saw a woman get conked on the head with one the other day!

      Delete
  2. Lol! I would have been peeing my pants! Mother Nature 1, humans zippo. Either that or a squirrel with a fabulous sense of humor and aim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to hide my gaping grin behind my napkin, that was for sure!!! I haven't seen any squirrels, but the insects do seem rather impish....

      Delete
  3. Oops-ahem, that was me, Darlene.

    ReplyDelete

Communicate with Ken now!

ShareThis